This public auditor sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Public Auditor
Public Auditor Job Purpose: Ensures compliance with laws, rules, and regulations by planning and completing audits; identifying inadequate, inefficient, or ineffective management and accounting operation systems; recommending improvements.
Public Auditor Job Duties:
- Plans audits by understanding agency objectives, structure, policies, processes, and internal controls; establishing audit schedules.
- Assesses compliance by examining, analyzing, and verifying financial accounts, fixed assets and inventories, payrolls or cash accounts, grant program costs, records, reports, operating practices, documentation, and related instruments;
- Verifies information by comparing and analyzing items to documentation.
- Completes audit work papers by documenting audit tests and findings.
- Communicates audit progress and findings by providing information in status meetings; identifying discrepancies; preparing final audit reports.
- Improves compliance by recommending changes in management and accounting operation systems and control structure.
- Protects agency reputation by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications and new regulations.
- Contributes to team results by helping others accomplish related job results as and where needed.
Skills/Qualifications: Audit, Accounting, Financial Planning and Strategy, Process Improvement, Reporting Research Results, Analyzing Information , Verbal Communication, Informing Others, Client Relationships, Problem Solving, Objectivity
Learn more about how to hire: