This pathology laboratory aide sample job description can assist in your creating a job application that will attract job candidates who are qualified for the job. Feel free to revise this job description to meet your specific job duties and job requirements.
Description: Pathology Laboratory Aide
Pathology Laboratory Aide Job Purpose: Supports pathology laboratory services by assisting pathologists with gross description and dissection of tissues removed at surgery and post-mortem examinations; maintaining instruments, equipment, and supplies; maintaining the morgue; providing assistance to funeral directors.
Pathology Laboratory Aide Job Duties:
- Assists pathologists by preparing materials; collecting, analyzing, and labeling surgical specimens; disposing of wastes; performing post-mortem examinations; disposing of limbs; transporting toxicology copies to the laboratory.
- Maintains morgue by autoclaving biohazard wastes and notifying housekeeping for disposal; inspecting and cleaning the morgue area, autopsy room, and refrigerated room; notifying housekeeping of special cleaning needs; cleaning the autoclave, and countertops and cabinets in the autoclave room; maintaining autoclave tapes; maintaining gurneys.
- Maintains pathology equipment, instrumentation, and morgue supplies by operating equipment according to manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting problems; performing preventive maintenance; maintaining spare parts inventory; arranging for repairs; sharpening instruments; maintaining supply inventory levels; completing and placing supply requisitions; restocking laboratory storeroom.
- Maintains wearing and protective apparel by arranging for laundering scrub suits and laboratory coats; cleaning protective aprons.
- Helps funeral directors by removing cadavers; ensuring proper identification; maintaining morgue log book and signatures.
- Maintains quality results by following and enforcing standards.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following asepses protocols; enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and jcaho standards.
- Enhances pathology department and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills/Qualifications: Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Attention to Detail, Lab Environment, Hospital Environment, Analyzing Information , Equipment Maintenance, Informing Others, Self-Confidence, Thoroughness, Use of Medical Technologies, Performing Diagnostic Procedures
Learn more about how to hire: